Slide to see the images
Kirby is a 1-year-old Boxer mix who was just rescued from a high-kill shelter in California! He has beautiful brindle coloring, such a sweet face, and is dog-friendly. Kirby has a great disposition and loves human attention!
Kirby is now safe in his Seattle-area foster home and will be available for adoption the week of September 19th. We will update as we get to know him better!
FOSTER UPDATE: Kirby is a friendly loving boy. He knows "sit" and he goes to the door when he needs to go potty. He loves to get belly rubs. He walks well on a leash. We haven't assessed him around cats yet.
First, for the PROS:
(1) Kirby has blossomed into a full blown goofball. He wants to play and snuggle with everyone, people and dogs. He will zoom around the yard and roll over on his back for pets and love and wrestle. He started out pretty timid but he's a total lovey nut now!
(2) He LOVES walks! His desire to explore is what drives him... he just wants to go. He is pretty good on the leash although he could benefit from a gentle leader because he is just so strong and would love to chase a squirrel if he could. He would be a very willing walking/running/hiking buddy.
(3) He is smart and eager to please and easy to train. He responds very well to the clicker and treats. He has learned to sit nicely for food, to shake, and to "drop it".
(4) He has no fear of men and is friendly to strangers. He is really good with our kids. He can get a little excited around them but if you just let him settle he rejoins the group calm and wonderful.
(5) He is really relaxed in the house. He just needs walks and runs for his mental energy more than anything. He has a bit of a need to chew but I don't worry about the house being in shreds when I get home. He would happily sleep on the couch all day.
Now, for the Cons:
(1) Kirby is a bit of an escape artist. He can get over a 6 foot fence (to find his people). He tends to do this if he hasn't had his exercise or is really hyped up about something.
(2) Kirby is still a bit mouthy -- but he tries so hard not to give in to his desire to play bite. He has improved a ton and this should be resolved with just consistency and reinforcement.
(3) With three other dogs in his foster house, there have been a couple incidents of a growl over a special snack or toy, but it's not a consistent behavior. Nothing major, just something to keep an eye on. The last time it happened, after a verbal correction, he went up to the dog he growled at and licked and wagged at him as if trying to apologize.
(4) Kirby doesn't care for the rainy weather and needs to be encouraged to go potty outside in the rain.
ADOPTION INFO: $495, includes pull from shelter, spay/neuter, Rabies/DPPV/Bordetella vaccinations, heart worm testing, microchipping, health certificate, boarding, transport from California to Seattle, and any other unforeseen costs/treatment. This adoption fee not only contributes to this dog's care and rescue, but of hundreds of other high-risk dogs.
If you would are interested in Kirby, please email email@example.com!