Although generalizations are difficult given the newness of Goldendoodles, most are highly trainable, and can be easily socialized to love the world as a whole – children and other animals included.
Goldendoodles, like Poodles and Goldens, need daily exercise. The breed thrives on inclusion, so families do well to find creative dog-friendly activities. Fortunately the Goldendoodle blends into many environments, including the local dog park, nearby swimming holes, nature trails, or community outdoor venues.
About the Goldendoodle:
- Playful, frisky, and positive
- Golden-frosted with friendliness
- Equally sporty as cuddly
Should I get a Goldendoodle?
Terrific for a person who:
- Delights in a dog that can handle a long hike and then a long hug.
- Wants a dog with a natural inclination to respect family members of all ages, including the children.
- Has little patience for dog hair sticking to clothes, carpet, and furniture (caveat: Not every Goldendoodle is low shedding)
Think twice if you’re a person who:
- Expects your dog to evidence a quiet, serious reserve, never playing the class clown.
- Feels heart broken if your dog greets strangers almost as heartily as he greets you.
- Works long hours, and believes his dog should hang out alone with stoicism.
Grooming varies, depending on the dog’s coat. Puppies in the same litter can have varying coats. Goldendoodles with low-shedding coats require a bit more brushing and trimming than those that shed more, thereby confirming the adage: nothing in life comes free!
There is no official standard for the Goldendoodle. Originally bred with a Standard Poodle, to produce a larger Golden Retriever with a low-shedding coat, they now come in a variety of sizes depending on the size Poodle they are mixed with. Their coats may be more similar to the Golden or the Poodle, ranging from straight to curly, but generally fall somewhere in the middle and may or may not be low-shedding.
Ranges from dense and curly to medium length and wavy.
Brush regularly and groom as needed. Some may require trimming.