Incredible stories of rescue and survival are coming out Alberta, Canada, where wildfires have swept across Fort McMurray. Recent news of an inventive cat is no exception.
Firefighters found a cat inside a stove in a badly burned house and think the stove saved his life, The Canadian Press reports. Tux the cat likely climbed in the stove after a gas explosion blew out the oven door glass, rescue crews believe, and although it trapped him, it also protected him.
Tux suffered some injuries to his paws, so crews bandaged him up and shot his picture to share on social media to locate the cat’s owner. That’s how Jody Lishchynsky found her cat.
According to the news outlet, the Lishchynsky family was separated from their cat when, during mere minutes of evacuation warning, Tux got trapped behind the fire line. They’d gathered everything they could carry and loaded a truck but when they returned to the house to pick up more, including Tux, the fire separated them from the cat.
The Lishchynsky family took refuge with relatives. That’s where they found Tux’s photo and the story of his incredible survival online. They soon reunited with their cat.
“I don’t know why that fireman looked in that stove,” Lishchynsky told the Canadian Press. “That’s just beyond me. Sure enough, there’s the little frigger.”
A smart, lucky little frigger indeed.