Veterinarians may need the following tests to diagnose the cause of hind-end weakness.
1) Blood tests (including blood sugar, red and white cell counts, platelet counts, liver values, kidney values, Aleutian disease virus and other tests)
2) Radiographs (to look at the spine, heart and lungs, and abdomen; sometimes several sets of X-rays are needed)
3) Biopsies (especially if a mass is seen or lymphoma is suspected)
4) Urinalysis (gives information about the kidney function and the presence of bladder or kidney infections)
5) CT/MRI (gives information for conditions localized to the central nervous system)