Pokemon Go has stormed the nation, and those playing the augmented reality game have become so engrossed in becoming Pokemon trainers that some have run into mishaps while searching for the elusive Pokemon out in the wild. News stories about people falling off cliffs or getting bit by a venomous snake have become the norm over the last 10 days or since the game was introduced in the United States.
But one couple in Royal Oak, Michigan, had a different encounter while searching for Pokemon. They helped save a 10-year-old dog’s life, and the house in which the dog lived, from burning to the ground,
according to the Detroit Free Press.
Patrick Awdish and his fiancée, Katelyn Zac, were in the middle of searching for Pokemon in a neighborhood in Royal Oak when they happened upon a house that was on fire. Initially, the couple thought the fire was just a bonfire in front of the house, but when they got closer, they saw that the house was on fire.
“We kind of walked by a house, and we thought it was a bonfire,” Awdish told the Detroit Free Press. “You could see the flames from the street.”
The couple immediately called 911. Firefighters arrived, and while they put the fire out, they discovered Stanley, a Flat-Coated Retriever, in the house. Royal Oak Fire Chief Jim Cook said the Pokemon Go-playing couple’s quick thinking saved the dog and the house.
“They saved my house. They sure did,” Randall Bishop told the Detroit Free Press. “This whole ‘Pokemon’ thing is obviously a positive, in our aspect.”