The dams listed below are top producers according to official AKC records Jan. 1, 2015, through Dec. 31, 2015.
TOP DAM QUESTIONS
1. Provide a brief biography of yourselves and your experience in the sport.
2. Provide a brief biography of your dam’s breeder(s) and background in the sport, if you are not the breeder.
3. Briefly describe the highlights of your dam’s show career.
4. What is significant about the breeding that produced her?
5. What two or three traits do you feel she is particularly strong in passing along to her offspring?
Aquina Valle De Los Volcanos
Owner: Betsy Richards
1. In 2005, after watching the movie Because of Winn Dixie, I fell in love with the Berger Picard. I went to France that fall to pick up the most adorable puppy and attend the French Berger Picard Club’s National Specialty. I had imported two bitches from France before Sugar came to live with us in 2009. One of those bitches was barren, the other, Beaujolais des Garous d’Ebene produced the UKC National Specialty winner, Allstars Delta Barke, in 2009.
I am the founding president of the Berger Picard Club of America. Breeding to me requires a whole lot of luck.
2. Aquina Valle De Los Volcanos was born in Germany in July of 2006 to breeders John Braun and Ulrike Spielmann. Her first home in the United States was to a Hollywood director. When that home did not work out, instead of sending her back to Europe, I adopted her. There were only 165 Berger Picards in the country at that time. Her first family had called her Israel, but I call her Sugar because she is so sweet.
3. At the time she was shown, the Berger Picard was only able to be shown at UKC shows, she finished her championship with ease.
4. Sugar’s pedigree is fantastic and includes many champions of France in her background. One of note was a dog star of the movie Because of Winn Dixie. Her temperament is friendly and outgoing. Her expression is lovely and she is very, very smart.
5. She has whelped four litters with different sires with AKC and UKC champions out of all of them. Her oldest offspring are now producing champions as well. Her significant contribution to the Berger Picard breed has been her phenomenal temperament. She is extremely friendly and outgoing, and she has passed that trait on to her offspring. She is extremely intelligent that can be seen in her expression and in her son’s ability to detect a drop in his owner’s blood sugar and her grandson’s ability to diagnose his owner’s lymphoma.
GCh. Bon Idee’s Garden Party
Bouvier des Flandres
Owners: Dayle Sullivan and Angela Motta
1. I am a relative “newbie” to the sport, only getting my first Bouvier in 2000 and breeding my first litter in 2005. I have titled/trialed my dogs in Rally, Obedience, Weight Pulling, Agility and Conformation.
2. I am the breeder.
3. ‘Madison’ started her career going Best Puppy in Show at the prestigious Kennel Club of Palm Springs under judge Ms. Maxine Beam, and she never looked back. She ended her career, which included BIS and multi-Specialty BIS, as the No. 1 Bouvier for 2011.
4. Madison’s sire was BOB and her dam was BOS at our National Specialty in 2006. They were of similar type and produced well together.
5. Madison consistently passes on her short back, level topline and properly balanced reach and drive to her offspring, and that enabled her to earn her ROM with her first litter.
GCh. Farwoods Cascade Falls OA, OAJ, NF, NAP
Owners: Joan Steimel and Juliana F. Hite
1. & 2. GCh. Farwoods Cascade Falls OA, OAJ, NF, NAP is bred, owned and handled by Joan Steimel and Julie Hite. Joan has been in the sport since the late 1960s. She is an accomplished obedience trainer and instructor who earned a HIT with one of the boys out of her first litter, Farwoods Mighty Simon CD. She has been in Belgian Sheepdogs since 1979. She is responsible for selling Julie her first Belgian puppy in 1991, and the rest is history. Julie trains, instructs and shows in obedience, agility and conformation. She is forever grateful to Joan who has been her mentor and great friend through the years. Each breeding is thoroughly planned, and they have a litter about once every three years. Joan and Julie both believe that a balanced Belgian should have a title at both ends.
3. ‘Cassie’ earned an AOM at the 2013 Belgian Sheepdog National Specialty under breeder-judge Skip Stanbridge.
4. She is a second-generation top-producing bitch proudly following in the footsteps of her mother ‘Donita’ (Ch. Farwoods N Moonlite’s Donita CD, BN, RN ROM). Cassie herself is out of a litter of eight, six of which have earned their championships, with four going on to become Grand Champions. One of Cassie’s brothers is a Champion Tracker, only the third Belgian to earn that title.
5. Five of the eight puppies in Cassie’s litter have performance titles. Cassie’s first litter produced five champions, three of which already have performance titles. They will be 4 years old in July 2016. Cassie’s outstanding structure, wonderful temperament and willingness to please are the trademark of her puppies.
GCh. Enchantress De L’Aurore RN
Owner: Karen Simchak and Lynn M. Brandenburg
1. My introduction to dog showing and performance competition started when I was a teenager. Since then, I have acquired HITs in obedience and titled dogs in conformation, agility, flyball and herding, as well as trained a few of our dogs in personal protection.
2. ‘Wink’s’ breeder, Lynn Brandenburg of de L’Aurore Tervuren, has owned and bred (sparingly) Tervuren for 30-plus years. Her emphasis has always been on type, soundness (physical and mental) and health. She has produced 30-plus champions (plus many more sired by her stud dogs).
3. Wink’s full name speaks to her record in multiple rings: multi-UKC RBIS and -SBIS, AKC/UKC GCH, NBOB, NGRCH, URO-1 Enchantress de L’Aurore RN, HIC, SCT, FDCH-gold, TFE-2, CGC, Total Dog x2, No. 1 BSD in UKC 2009 and 2010. She was BOB at the UBSDA National Specialty in 2011 where all four varieties of the Belgian Shepherd compete, and she has had multiple Best in Working Sweeps and Brood Bitch class wins. She and her get have been awarded Best Kennel in Specialty Show multiple times.
4. Our breeding program builds on the great breeders of the past and present. Without their forethought and guidance, we wouldn’t have had the quality to start with and the knowledge to move forward. We mainly use dogs from strong European lines and concentrate on type and structure as a whole.
5. Wink has been an exceptional brood bitch; in her three litters, she has produced champion, Grand Champion and Owner-Handled Group placers, performance-titled, National Specialty AOM winners and Top 15 ranked offspring. She passes on her graceful movement, wonderful Belgian type and zest for life!