Serve your budgie and other birds this cool and refreshing treat. It offers a balance of vitamins, calcium and protein. The fruits and greens included in this recipe are parakeet and parrot friendly.
1) Prepare your lentil, legumes and whole-wheat pasta beforehand. You want these ingredients to be cool before you add them to the fruit salad.
2) Wash all of the fruits and greens.
3) Chop the cherries and grapes into half slices. Chop the mango into pieces that your parakeet will be able to grasp with its foot.
4) Chop the kale and spinach.
5) Mix the fresh fruits in a bowl.
6) Add in the chopped kale and spinach. Toss the greens into the mixture to make sure they are evenly distributed.
7) Toss in the cooled whole-wheat pasta, lentils and legumes.
8) Serve to your budgies in their food dish.
Store leftover fruit salad in an airtight container and keep refrigerated. It will keep for a couple of days.
For this recipe, check back on your budgie? food dish after you have served it. Remove any leftover portions after a few hours to prevent bacterial growth.
Excerpt from the Popular Birds Series magabook Parakeets with permission from its publisher, BowTie magazines, a division of BowTie Inc. Purchase Parakeets here.