If a parrot refuses to Step up on the left hand but will Step up onto the right hand, or vice versa, vary the Step-up practice:
1. Substitute hand-held perches for hands.
2. Practice from a low perch or chair back,going from the perch to the preferred hand repeatedly. Omit the unwanted hand until responses are automatic.
3. Cover your hands with a towel.
4. Teach Step backs rather than forward Step ups.
5. Or, when practicing from hand to hand, lower the hand that is being stepped off of rather than raising the one that is stepped onto so the new “perch” is more stable than the one left behind.