Today’s world is crazy hectic. Between family, friends, work, social media and just trying to find some time to relax, it can be easy to miss out on some of the small animal news, articles and videos that ran in 2015. So, for your convenience, we’ve compiled the 10 most popular items according to visitors to the site. Could this change in the next few days by year-end? Yes, but I’m willing to bet not by much.
You might notice that there are quite a few ferret-related items. This just means that a lot of ferret enthusiasts are reading ferret articles. If you favor a different species, fear not. We posted plenty of articles covering rabbits, hamsters, guinea pigs, rats, chinchillas, gerbils, hedgehogs, mice and sugar gliders, too. Explore the site and find articles about your favorite pet!
10. This article about a ferret who had pacemaker surgery will pluck at your heartstrings.
Courtesy of Crystal and Stephanie Belikoff
After a rough start in life, this little ferret found a loving home, and when he needed surgery for a pacemaker, he got it.
9. Two states ban ferrets as pets: California and Hawaii. In a rare case, one man’s 16 ferrets were seized from his California home this past summer, and ferret rescuers went into action.
Courtesy of Christine Smith
The 16 ferrets were picked up by rescuers and taken out of state for their safety.
8. In January, the news reported on an alleged ferret attack on an infant in the Philadelphia area.
Via ABC News
The ferrets were said to have escaped this mesh playpen and attacked the baby strapped into the nearby child car seat.
7. Pet ferrets can’t survive in the wild, but people still confuse ferrets with many types of wild animals. This article reviews the most common ferret/wildlife mix-ups.
Ferrets are members of the weasel family, which happens to include some of the wild animals that often get mistaken for ferrets.
6. This ferret thief thinks he can get away with stealing his owner!
Via Its Mokka/YouTube
This ferret dreams big!
5. What has a veterinarian learned about ferrets since vet school? This article reveals all.
Courtesy of Jerry Murray, DVM
Adrenal gland disease, insulinoma, heartworm — treatment for these ailments and more have changed in the past few decades.
4. In a more lighthearted vein, this article explores why owning ferrets is similar to having toddlers.
You never know what ferrets will get into.
3. It’s not all about ferrets. The story of Scottie the guinea pig will warm your heart, but have tissues ready.
Courtesy of Michiko Vartanian
Although Scottie had a difficult early life, he got to experience a loving home and be an inspiration.
2. Treating small animal pets requires ongoing study, and this article is all about what a vet learned about guinea pigs since vet school.
Gina Cioli/Lumina Media
Guinea pigs have unique needs, such as requiring vitamin C in the diet.
1. This cute little rat gathered a huge social following thanks to adorable photos of him taken by his owner.
Courtesy of Sarah Hunt
His name is Marty Mouse, but he is, in fact, a rat.